Tuesday, February 19, 2008

McKee was baptized on Saturday February 16, 2008.


It was definitely a busy day but a wonderful day at that. McKee has been so excited to be baptized even before he turned 8, almost to the point of annoying. I didn't realize how much work went into planning a baptism. Luckily every thing seem to fall into place and the whole evening turned out to be so wonderful.

We got to the church early which is an anomaly for us. We were delayed from starting on time due to a very stinky Logan. Linda ran out to the van to quickly change him while I continued to play prelude music. When they returned we got started with the program. After Brenda so kindly helped lead the music and said an opening prayer, Linda spoke on "baptism". She started asking questions directed towards McK. Before McK could open his mouth Luke would shout out the answer. Luke was on the edge of his seat, not taking his eyes of Grandma, waiting with baited breath for the next question. It was so darn cute to see him totally enthusiastic and he even answered every question correct. I guess he is getting this from somewhere, I didn't think he listened to his parents. After a while of this, I started feeling bad for McK because Luke was stealing the show. Everyone was chuckling at his enthusiasm. I even tried to quiet Luke a bit so McK could get an answer in or two, but it wasn't working. When Linda finished I was a bit relieved so that Mck could be back in the lime light, after all it was his night.

He and Mark went into the font. Mark did a good job and only had to dunk him once(thank goodness). We were worried since the last guy he baptized he had to do it over again I think 5 times. When Mark and McK returned from changing their clothes, Sid spoke on the "Holy Ghost". I found it quite entertaining because he told a story about Mark (in front of the bishop and his counselor) about how Mark had bought gas comming home from church on Sunday. Not only did he buy gas, but he went in and bought himself a twinkie (who is surprised here?). Sid went on to tell us that McK called out Mark on his actions and then asked "now how did the twinkie taste?". Everyone was laughing and I was marveling on how my children got to be so smart (of course I can say that, I'm the mom). Its true McK likes his world very black and white. He has a very hard time when his parents tell him "do as I say, not as I do".

Grandpa McKee confirmed McKee. This was Marks idea and I found it so sweet. I think it will make it a very memorial experience for both Grandpa and Grandson.


All in all, it was a wonderful evening. Grandma & Grandpa Thatcher came in from Anaheim. Grandma & Grandpa McKee made the long drive down from Tridell. Russell and Paige came in from LA. It was so wonderful to have family in and I really appreciate their sacrifice to come and support our little family. I felt so empty when they left.

I'm really proud of McKee. He really is such a good boy. I really believe that there is something to him being the first child. He is such a good example and for the most part, the best big brother a boy could be.

4 comments:

Audry said...

Cute little family, we're so sad we couldn't be their for Mck's big day. Madisen keeps asking me when we are going to visit McK and Aubrey. She misses them so much.

Jenie said...

I loved reading about Mark's Sunday visit to the gas station. We were supposed to bring fruit to a baby blessing for our family and we got up to get it ready Sunday morning, of course, and some of the fruit was bad. Well, instead of just taking the oreos that were in the pantry like we should've done, we decided to go to the store to get more fruit. The girls were freaking out, wondering why we were at the grocery store on Sunday and telling us about keeping the sabbath day holy. This was quite a few years ago but needless to say, this was not our finest teaching moment. It's a good thing we have these kids to keep us in line. :) I know, for us, it's a hard job for them.

TnD said...

Congratulations McKee! We are so happy for you. We wish we could have been there too.

Lillie said...

I just read part of this post to Ross and he confirmed that Mark always says Mck is a better person than he. :)!! How funny. What a COOL kid. I can't believe he's eight. You guys are so grown up. :)