Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Our dear "Lukie"



Luke is a very special little guy! 
He has one of the more tender and kind hearts I've ever seen in a boy, He can be so charming and loveable when we have his blood sugar in check, he basically gets away with everything because he is so darn cute. For example, on Monday, I was begging him to play a game with me. He refused.
"Do you want to play soccer with Mom?".
His reply...
"NO."
"Can we read a couple of books together?"
"NO."
"Do you want to watch a movie together?"
"NO."
"Write a letter to Grandma & Grandpa?"
"Play Cars?"
"NO."
At this point I was about ready to give up but I told him that he had to do something with me today and that he could pick anything he wanted to do. In desperation I asked "How about we make cookies together?" He suddenly perks up and asks "Can we make cookies at Lizzies house?"  I told him that was a good idea, but he needs to play with me and not Lizzie, so he needed to pick something that he and I could do together.  He then asked "How about I write a letter to Lizzie?"  "That sounds like a great idea."  He wrote Lizzie a letter that went something like this...
Lizzie,
I like to swim.
I love cookies.
I was so proud of him.  He wrote 90% of the letters himself. He put some of his "sugar-free" candy in an envelope.  He then ran upstairs and came down with a $10 bill from his savings jar.  I tried to convince him that he didn't need to do all of this for Lizzie but he said "Mom, I want to, it's OK, it only buys just toys."
It was all he could think about for the next day.  He asked every 20 minutes if Lizzie was home so he could give it to her.  He was so excited he could barely stand it.  Every time we would talk about it, he would wear his smirk which is something like pursing your lips so you can hold down a smile.  We keep telling him that its OK to smile, but he smirks anyway.

 
We were able to deliver the letter the next day.  He was squirming with joy.  His little spirit could barely contain himself.  I was pretty proud of him as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brought a tear to my eye. That little Luke is so dang sweet he has a big heart just like his dad!

Audry said...

How cute, That little Lukie is such a cutie. I love it. I miss being there. That little boy has a special place in my heart. Tell the boys that we miss them.

TnD said...

That is so generous. What a little sweetheart. I am amazed at how perceptive you have been to his blood sugar situation and how you knew what he needed before a Dr. confirmed it.

sidandlindaadventures said...

Shar - you are amazing - you really did figure out the hypo glycemia thing on your own. You even figured out our own body allergies. Isn't it amazing how our bodies respond to different foods and tell us what to do if we can learn to listen. How amazing is our Luke. Such a sweet and tender little heart - actually BIG heart. He is a very special boy!