Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Suddenly I see"

I had Lasik on both of my eyes on Tuesday. I can't believe I won't have Logan smash my glasses into my nose or slap them off of my face. I don't even have to look for my glasses anymore or in most cases have Mark look for them because I couldn't see to find them without my glasses. I feel liberated. Wahoo!!

I wasn't nervous at all for the procedure until I read the disclaimer sheet. It listed blindness and among other things, death. Then, it asked me to sign saying that it was still OK to operate. I probably would have not gone through with it but I had some friends that just had it done and I knew a few people who had it done years ago and they all loved having it done...so being the follower that I am, I signed my life away and wah-la I have new eyes.

It is such an amazing surgery. It took less that 10 minutes for both of my eyes. They give you a Xanax to calm you down so you don't fidget under the laser, which by the way knocked me out and I fell asleep on the table. They put me under one laser that cut open my cornea and under the second laser after they lifted the corneal flap, it put bubbles to re-shape my cornea. Dr. Tooma put the flap back on my eye, and press out any wrinkles with a little sponge.  That was pretty much it.  Crazy!


The best part.....I got to sleep the rest of the day (with the help of Xanax). I have been looking for an excuse to let me do this since I had kids and I haven't been clever enough to come up with anything legit enough. It was great. Thanks to Mark for making this happen.  I think he just didn't want to see me in my auto-darkening grandma glasses anymore, which is fine because even I didn't want to wear them anymore.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shar!!! I can't imagine how amazing that would feel!

Chrissie said...

My husband works with yours and I just wanted to say hi! Congrats on your new vision. That picture with the eye flap cut open kind of grossed me out (I'm terribly squeamish when it comes to eyes), but I'm glad your surgery was a success! My mom has been wanting to get this for a long time, but alas, she's eye-squeamish, too.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I am so excited for you! I love my bionic eyes. It was such a miracle for me to get it done back in the stone age 8 years ago. Afterwards whenever I saw someone with glasses I just wanted to shake them by their shoulders and say, "Are you mad, man? - Go get your eyes done!" One less stress in life is a good thing, and you definately could use less stress.

Lillie said...

I didn't know you had the auto-darkening-granny-glasses like Lizzie. So cool. I'd miss those if I were you.

And I'm a little sick to my stomach after reading about your surgery. Thanks.

sidandlindaadventures said...

Sharlou I am so excited for you. What a liberation that must be. I know the bondage since I have to wear the old lady glasses. Do they operate for old age vision or just regular near or far sightedness I wonder? Can hardly wait to see you next week.